Monday, July 7, 2008

Outer Banks weekend (Part 1 of 3)

We spent this past weekend visiting the Outer Banks of NC. We saw all four lighthouses, we went to the Wright Brothers Memorial, and camped out one night. The camping was not fun. That part I will not do again. (I think that is going to have to be a post of it's own.)But otherwise, we had a pretty good weekend.


The first day we woke up early and caught the Ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke Island. The ferry ride is 2 hours and 15 minutes. The kids fed a loaf of bread to the seagulls. They loved that. Joel got them to eat right out of his hand. I wish I had caught a picture of that, but I missed it.





This is a view of the Ocracoke Lighthouse from the ferry as we were pulling up to the island.


Next, we drove farther up the coast. We took another ferry (this one is a 40 minute ride) to Hatteras island. Our next stop was Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Jared, Kelly, and Nate got to climb to the top. Joel was not able to climb to the top because they require children to be 42 inches tall and climb without help. I stayed at the bottom with Joel. The climb is 248 steps to the top. About the same as 12 stories high. They loved it.




A view from the top...

No comments:

Easter Morning

I quickly took these pics before church on Sunday. For those of you in our ward, this is why we were a few minutes late to church this morn...