We live about 20 miles away from Camp Lejeune so we get to know a lot of military families. I love that aspect of living here. We have met the nicest families. Most of them are intelligent, hard working, strong families. They have lived many places and don't plan to spend the rest of their lives in what I sometimes call the "redneck South". They see the importance of education. The majority of our ward is military. With a handful of families that are not. Our little town that we are in is probably half military and half that are not. It makes where we live very unique because it is a small town with all the southern charm that you can imagine, but it also has a mix of families that are educated and have lived in places all over the world. Before I moved hear I had this idea in my head that all military people were those reckless, tattooed, jarheads that would make their way down to Wilmington or Carolina Beach to hit the bars. I have found that this was a terrible misconception. That was only a little slice that I saw in the past. Many of them are doctors, attorneys, builders, or many other professionals that the military needs to function. I have been most impressed with the amazing strength of the military wives. They are amazing women. I have watched them be the strong steady backbone of the family while their husband is serving overseas. I have become good friends with many of them. They are practical, down to earth women with strong values and a desire to raise good kids and have strong families. I have found that even if they are not the same religion as I am, that we really have a lot in common and that I am a better person for knowing them.
The hard part of this is that they always move away after a certain amount of time. We have lived here a little over two years now. We have said good bye to a few of our close friends this summer. I am starting to see that it will always be that way. The last few years we have been the ones to move and leave friends behind. I am not sure that I like being on this side of the moving.
3 comments:
That is absolutely one of the nicest things I have heard of someone doing in a long time! I bet that meant the world to Joel and to you! The bond those two boys will have for their lives, even if his friend moves away, will be so strong just from the friendship they have developed at a such a difficult time as having your dad gone. It is wonderful to see that dad recognize this and send something to make that bond even stronger.
I had a little tear in my eye as I was reading because it was such a wonderful, albeit small, act of charity which will impact Joel for his life!
Great post!
How sweet is that? What a great dad to recognize his son's friendships and how important they are - even at 4.
Very nice post!
Marci
That is so nice for that father to send that to Joel.
Also, thanks for that sweet and enlightening post about military families. I don't know many military families and am thankful for them. Good reminder for Independence Day! Thanks.
Post a Comment